Happy New Year everyone. 2015 was an absolutely amazing year musically, with rock really shining through. I thought I would choose my personal top 5 albums of 2015. So here they are and not in any real order.
- Parkway Drive – Ire: Now I know I said they aren’t in any real order but this record really was my personal favourite of the year and found myself constantly playing it whenever I was in between albums. I won’t go too much into it as I did the review earlier this year (if you’re interested in further reading about this review or others just keep scrolling down) but this my pick of the year.
- Sevendust – Kill The Flaw: Another review from earlier this year, Kill The Flaw saw the return of Sevendust’s classic sound mixed with their recent and it works perfectly, to be fair I’ve never known a bad Sevendust album but Kill The Flaw was a massive step up for the boys.
- Bring Me The Horizon – That’s The Spirit: This was the massive release of 2015 and really projected the band’s profile into the stratosphere. The album came out back in early September yet still tracks off it are in the rock charts. While I preferred the old metalcore sound I can’t deny this is the record of the year.
- Halestorm – Into The Wild Life: The 3rd album from the Pennsylvanian rockers really showcased how amazing they’ve become, always been a good band, this album proves that they are getting better with each album. The record came out back in April, it still gets quite a lot of airplay still.
- Motörhead – Bad Magic: Of course Motörhead’s 22nd and sadly final album was going to be on the list, and not just because it’s the last ever. It is an amazingly brilliant, no frills just pure rock and roll awesomeness. And the cover of the Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil blew me away, a new favourite song right there.
There were of course so many more great albums released in 2015 such as Marilyn Manson’s Pale Emperor, Papa Roach’s F.E.A.R, Disturbed’s Immortalized and many more. Choosing those 5 was difficult. But we have so much to look forward to in 2016 and here is what I can’t wait for.
Coming up in 2016:
- Tool: I know it’s a long shot, but with the lawsuit over and new tour dates being announced, it’s hard not to get a little excited. The band itself has admitted they are writing and have around 20 tracks so far. Sad thing is there is still no timetable for the album yet, but from all I’ve heard after they have finished this tour it will be full steam ahead for the follow up to 2006’s mind blowing 10,000 days.
- Rob Zombie – The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser: Yeah, that is one hell of a name and can’t wait to hear people try to order that one. Rob Zombie has been a favourite artist of mine for years and I love everything he does from films to music to animation so of course I’m eagerly awaiting this mouthful of an album to be released and rumour has it we should be seeing it around March with either a tie in film and/or concept music videos for each song.
- Korn: I’ve been a massive fan since 1998’s Follow The Leader and loved everything they did… until 2005’s See You On The Other Side when I found they went a bit too electro for my tastes. But Korn has already come out and told everyone who will listen that the next yet to be titled album will be a lot closer in sound to their first self-titled album back in 1994. Welcome back boys, I can’t wait to get my hands on that one.
- Avenged Sevenfold: Not much is known about the 7th album as they seemed to be quite tight lipped on it. I do know that they have been working on it since 2014, so sometime this year does sound about right for the release. Also I can’t wait to hear how new drummer Brooks Wackerman has settled in and what he will bring to the band.
- BabyMetal: Yes, I do actually really enjoy the heavy metal meets J-pop that is BabyMetal. Their 2014 self-titled debut was infectiously brilliant. You can see why the metal world has gone mental and become fans of the teenage fronted band. If the follow up album is half as good as the first I can see them taking over the world yet again.
Well there we have it. My best of last year and some of what we have to look forward to this year. Feel free to contact if you feel I missed anything, agree with what I have or just want to discuss music. Keep on rocking and let’s have an amazing 2016.
Written by Dan Harlond